case study – USA Group/TRG

TRG management had approved a desired look for its courseware, but were wholly unsuccessful in using Word’s table function to create a custom layout template. It was a mess any time a staff member inserted a graphic, such as an icon or screen capture, into their tabular layout.

Through evaluative testing, I determined that the best solution was to switch to a columnar format. But to the uninitiated, using columns in Word can also be challenging. TRG needed a user-friendly system it could deploy to its staff as well as to client universities.

 The accompanying Help system I developed for the TRG publishing system.

The accompanying Help system I developed for the TRG publishing system.

Given these all of the parameters, I developed an automated publishing solution based on a custom Word template I created.

The key to this easy-to-use solution was a Workbook Toolbar, where each button ran a WordBasic (the precursor to VBA) macro I had programmed.

The result offered a very high degree of sophistication, yet performed flawlessly when used by staff who had received less than ten minutes’ worth of instruction in its use.

As an independent exercise, I used RoboHELP ’95 to create a related Help system (shown above).

Home >> Case Studies >> word publishing system